Saturday, February 28, 2009

Day 69: Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Valentine's Day was on Saturday. My expectation were pretty low considering the situation and the awful luck that Tom and I seem to have on that day. The first year we were together I was living in Mass and he was in Tenn. He was supposed to fly up to see me for Valentine's Day, except of course there was a giant snow storm and his flight got delayed till the next day. He did get me a phone that year though as a gift (and his dog tags, which I've pretty much worn ever since) which was good because our phone bills had been ridiculously expensive. Last Valentine's Day was six days after my accident. I had been home for maybe one or two days and really hadn't done anything more than get out of bed, hobble to the couch, and back again. I was still getting used to crutches, it was just bad, lol. My mom and Paul were still in town helping out, so Tom and I hadn't really gotten too much alone time either, and we hadn't seen each other for about a month. They went out to a nice steak place. He brought me home flowers and Chinese food and then dragged me to the car (yikes, driving!) and took me to cold stone, which i was super excited for because I kept saying that I had wanted to go ever since it opened. Well, I think everyone in Clarksville wanted to go to Cold Stone that night. Tom settled me onto one of their few tables and he stood in line for probably an hour. I felt bad. lol, then later that night was definitely not the romantic night I had been planning it to be, pretty much because I could barely move at that point in time.


This valentine's day I was awoken to the delivery man bringing me flowers. I'm sorry, but no matter how many times I get flowers, I will never get sick of them. I love getting flowers! (and in that respect I am SUCH a girl, but I so don't care). I think I fell back asleep because I was still tired, and hey, why not? It's Saturday and I have zero plans. I woke up and went online because I knew Tom had the day off and I wanted to see if he was on. I had an email from him and it was entitled '10 Things'. In it he wrote ten things that he loves about me. It was really sweet, I loved it. Then I went and checked my mail-mail and there was a card from him that just fit us perfectly. I do believe there is a science in picking out the perfect card. Sometimes I will be there for a couple hours trying to find the best possible card. He did well. That night we had plans for a "date". I got all dressed up and prettified (i made up that word) and then went and got my food. Since Tom's selection of food places consists of burger king, pizza hut, subway, or their dining commons, we decided to both get subway, bring it back to our computers, and eat together. It was as close to a going out date as we could possibly get. It was cute. We ate "together" something we haven't done in months. No, the situation was not perfect, but we did the best we could given our circumstances. You've got to make the best of the situation youre in, even if its not the greatest. That's the only way you can make it work. Appreciate what you have and be greatful that you have anything at all. I do envy those people who got to actually be WITH their loved ones on Valentines Day. I envy those people who got to touch and kiss their significant others. But, I wouldn't trade what I've got with Tom for anything. We're going to be married in less than a year! And all I have to do is hold on to that thought, and to the thought of him coming home in roughly 295 days, and it will get me through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment